Overwatch 2 is changing up its usual Quick Play rules with Quicker Play, a limited-edition game mode that features faster captures speeds, payloads, and respawn times. The mode will run from January 12-14, after which Quick Play matchmaking will return.
As for what changes players can expect, much of it boils down to faster gameplay. Respawn times will be set to 75% of their original time, while payloads will move 60% faster. Taking control of the objective point in both Hybrid and Control will be 40% faster, while Flashpoint will be 20% faster. A list of all changes can be found below:
Quicker Play changes
- Respawning times are now 75% of their original time.
- Payloads in Escort and Hybrid maps will move 60% faster.
- Taking control of the Objective Point in Hybrid is 40% faster than normal.
- Taking control of the objective point in Control is 40% faster than normal, and scoring the capture progress percentage is 80% faster.
- Taking control of the objective point in Flashpoint is 20% faster than normal, and scoring the capture progress percentage is 40% faster.
- When you play an Escort, Hybrid, or Push map, the initial match time has been reduced to 70% of the original time, and any time extensions are also reduced to 70% of the total time added.
- These changes only apply to all players who play in Role Queue and Open Queue Quick Play modes during the duration of the event and will return to normal after January 14. Competitive Play and Arcade modes are not affected by these changes.
According to Blizzard, the new mode is a part of the Overwatch team’s effort to test new ideas for a limited time in order to quickly understand what players like and implement changes to improve gameplay. Quicker Play is the first part of Quick Play: Hacked, a series dedicated to shaking up Overwatch’s core Quick Play gameplay in ways that impact strategies and fundamentals rather than hero balance.
For folks looking to play with the traditional Quick Play rules, Blizzard suggests creating a custom game using the standard Quick Play rules. Quick Play matchmaking will return to the normal rules on January 15.